Here in this article, we will share with you how to install Android Q Beta on Asus Zenfone 5Z device. Google has released Android Q beta developer preview 3 for 21 devices currently at developers conference 2019 at California. The Q Beta includes the dark mode, privacy & security options, notification assist, smart reply, live capture, focus mode, etc. It also brings enhancements for foldable devices, new APIs for connectivity, new media codecs, camera improvements, Vulkan 1.1 support, faster app startup, and more.
All the Google pixel series devices are eligible to get the update right now. Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3 XL are in the list. While non-pixel Android smartphones are also on the list. Such as Asus ZenFone 5Z, Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Sony Xperia XZ3, LG G8, OnePlus 6T, Oppo Reno, Realme 3 Pro, Vivo NEX A, Vivo NEX S, Nokia 8.1, Essential PH-1, Tecno Spark 3 Pro, Vivo X27, Xiaomi Mi 9, and the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G.
Before heading over to the installation process, let’s take a look at the Android Q Beta 3 version features briefly.
Android Q Top Features:
Some of the top Android Q Beta features are mentioned here in brief. The improved Security and Privacy option, system-wide Dark Theme, Live Caption, Project Mainline, improved gestures, Smart reply, and Focus Mode.
Security and Privacy Control
In terms of the security and privacy options, the Android Q Beta DP3 provides much improved and better privacy control over apps, locations, etc. Now the system will allow apps which permissions to be taken for granted or not. This will play a major role in the near future. Even you can use incognito mode on Maps to keep your location private.
The system-wide dark mode feature is now available on the whole system. Now, you can change your theme and even accent color according to your choice. Meanwhile, theme color will have only two options like light and dark theme. Where all the system apps will work in the night theme. It will even reduce your eye strain during low light and saves device battery a lot.
Live Caption and Project Timeline
Whereas the Live Caption will come in handy for deaf users who can’t hear sounds or have any issues. It will allow the system to capture the voice conversation and show a subtitle on the screen even in offline mode. The Project Timeline is so much useful for all the users because it will tweak system architecture so that you will receive security patch updates via Play Store.
Gestures, Smart reply, and Focus Mode
The improved gesture navigation control now offers more smooth and fluid gestures than earlier. But this time Google has removed the back button to give a full-screen mode. Smart Reply is one of the top features of Android Q beta right now. It supports all the major messaging applications and offers auto-reply mode with templates for easier use.
The last but another useful feature is Focus Mode. However, the feature was released on Android Pie but most of the devices didn’t get this feature officially. It will help the user to choose the apps which are quite disturbing in terms of the notifications. It’s quite similar to DND mode.
Please Note: This is beta software, and if you so choose to enroll in the Android Q beta, then you must understand that the software might bug out more frequently than you might like it to. If you understand all the instability issues, and still want to try out the latest, then you are free to proceed. We still do not recommend you use beta software as a daily driver.
- First release May 7th, 2019
List of Known Issues
- SD cards with the exFAT format are not supported.
- There is no beep when the volume up or volume down buttons are pressed. The beep still works with other functions.
Steps to opt-in to Android Q Beta for Asus Zenfone 5Z
Before installing a Beta firmware on your device, please note that:
- The firmware is for ZenFone 5Z (ZS620KL) and is provided by Asus.
- Android Q Beta updates are sometimes not as stable as official Asus firmware updates.
- By installing this update, you accept the potential risks.
- Please be aware that installing the system image on a device removes all personal data from the device, so you should back up your data first.
- Please follow the instructions below to opt-in via Fastboot. Should you require any onsite help, please visit your nearest Asus customer service center.
- Please ensure that the battery level is higher than 50%. Hold down the Power and Volume Up buttons until the device reboots. Upon reboot, you’ll see Fastboot Mode appear on the screen. Then connect your ZenFone 5Z to your PC via a USB cable.
- Decompress the Android Q image file. Double click on “update_image.bat”, and it will start the flash image command. Do not unplug the USB cable and ensure a stable connection between your ZenFone 5Z and PC during the flashing process.
- When the flash finishes, a ‘Download Complete’ message will appear on the terminal. Hit the Enter key on the keyboard to restart your ZenFone 5Z. If an ‘Update image failed’ message appears on the terminal, the flash was unsuccessful. In this case, please try again or report the issue.
- You have successfully installed Android Q Beta on Asus Zenfone 5Z.
Steps to opt-out and revert back to Android P
Please follow the instructions below to opt-out via Fastboot. Should you require any onsite help, please visit your nearest Asus customer service center.
- Please, keep the battery level at least up to 50%. Hold down the Power and Volume Up buttons until the device reboots. Upon reboot, you’ll see Fastboot Mode appear on the screen. Then connect your ZenFone 5Z to your PC via a USB cable.
- Decompress the Android P image file. Double click on “update_image.bat”, and it will start flash image command. Do not unplug the USB cable and ensure a stable connection between your ZenFone 5Z and PC during the flashing process.
- When the flash finishes, a ‘Download Complete’ message will appear on the terminal. Hit the Enter key on the keyboard to reboot your ZenFone 5Z to Android P. If an ‘Update image failed’ message appears on the terminal, the flash was unsuccessful. In this case, please try again or report the issue.